Sabayon daily repo

Hi,

can someone help me with activating the daily repo for sabayon? The old wiki isn’t available anymore.

Thanks in advance

Try to run as root:

equo repo disable sabayon-weekly
equo repo enable sabayonlinux.org

If it does not work try this first:

cd /etc/entropy/repositories.conf.d/
cp entropy_sabayonlinux.org.example entropy_sabayonlinux.org

Update then:

equo up --force && equo u -a --purge && equo conf update
1 Like

Svantoviit, It worked for me too; without any problems. Thank you! :smile:

Very few updates are available now, also this error after upgrade:

:radioactive: Hi. My name is Bug Reporter. I am sorry to inform you that the program crashed. Well, you know, shit happens.
:radioactive: But there’s something you could do to help me to be a better application.
:radioactive: – BUT, DO NOT SUBMIT THE SAME REPORT MORE THAN ONCE –
:radioactive: Now I am showing you what happened. Don’t panic, I’m here to help you.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python-exec/python3.7/equo”, line 16, in
main()
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/_entropy/solo/main.py”, line 333, in main
exit_st = func(*func_args)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/_entropy/solo/commands/command.py”, line 437, in _call_shared
return func(client)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/_entropy/solo/commands/upgrade.py”, line 186, in _upgrade
relaxed, multifetch)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/_entropy/solo/commands/upgrade.py”, line 250, in _upgrade_action
package_matches=update)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/_entropy/solo/commands/install.py”, line 707, in _install_action
exit_st = pkg.start()
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/entropy/client/interfaces/package/actions/action.py”, line 218, in start
exit_st = self._run()
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/entropy/client/interfaces/package/actions/install.py”, line 260, in _run
exit_st = method()
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/entropy/client/interfaces/package/actions/install.py”, line 1410, in _install_phase
return self._install_phase_unlocked(inst_repo)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/entropy/client/interfaces/package/actions/install.py”, line 1478, in _install_phase_unlocked
inst_repo, installed_package_id)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/entropy/client/interfaces/package/actions/install.py”, line 970, in _install_spm_package_unlocked
spm_uid = spm.add_installed_package(self._meta)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/entropy/spm/plugins/interfaces/portage_plugin/init.py”, line 3183, in add_installed_package
root, package_metadata)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/entropy/spm/plugins/interfaces/portage_plugin/init.py”, line 3289, in _add_installed_package_unlocked
package_metadata)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/entropy/spm/plugins/interfaces/portage_plugin/init.py”, line 3029, in _create_contents_file_if_not_available
with self._PortageVdbLocker(self, root = root):
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/entropy/spm/plugins/interfaces/portage_plugin/init.py”, line 3139, in enter
self.__vdb_path)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/portage/locks.py”, line 119, in lockdir
return lockfile(mydir, wantnewlockfile=1, flags=flags)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/portage/locks.py”, line 132, in lockfile
unlinkfile=unlinkfile, waiting_msg=waiting_msg, flags=flags)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/portage/locks.py”, line 332, in _lockfile_iteration
_lock_manager(myfd, os.fstat(myfd) if fstat_result is None else fstat_result, mypath)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/portage/locks.py”, line 99, in init
raise TryAgain(path)
portage.exception.TryAgain: /var/db/pkg
Frame init in /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/portage/locks.py at line 99
self = <portage.locks._lock_manager object at 0x7f0019485850>
fd = 10
fstat_result = os.stat_result(st_mode=33200, st_ino=1838295, st_dev=2050, st_nlink=1, st_uid=0, st_gid=250, st_size=0, st_atime=1616923260, st_mtime=1616923260, st_ctime=1616923260)
path = ‘/var/db/pkg’
:radioactive:

Now there are many updates but how can I fix the error?
Fixed: equo/entropy doesn’t work with >=portage-3

If you want to mix entropy and portage packages you have to be extra careful and you NEVER EVER update portage via emerge.

My last successful upgrade (yes, I’ve long switched to daily branch) was on 14 April 2021. Because I use various distros, I came back to Sabayon on 2 May 2021 and found when I tried to boot into it that it indicated some error, and said to enter root password to enter maintenance mode.

I tried in maintenance tty mode to update (on the assumption that there had been a buggy updated package the last time I upgraded and maybe new updates will solve the problem) but

equo update

indicated that it was unable to find any alternate mirrors.

My questions:

1. have the repo mirrors changed? If so, to what and how do update mirrors? I used the instructions here : https://sabayon.github.io/wiki-next/articles/freshinstall/
equo repo mirrorsort sabayonlinux.org

but after sorting the mirrors, equo update still tells me no alt mirrors can be found.

1. or has Sabayon been completely discontinued? I have an older backup from Dec 2020 that I can restore if the mirrors can’t be updated due to some issue with the last update, but if Sabayon is totally gone, I won’t bother.

I can still use the daily repo just fine. However, it looks like there havn’t been any updates for quite some time. Is this still supported?

Hi, greyghost.

I updated via the entropy_sabayonlinux.org repository 30 June. I also updated the previous week. Sometimes the updates are multiple weeks apart. It is still supported.

Hello VolvoBirkenstock!

Yes, I recognised it just yesterday some hours after I wrote that. Thank you very much for your support.
Is there any chance to get python 3.8? I’d love an updated version of youtube_dl (which appears to require at least python3.8, looking at emerge output).

1 Like

Entropy supports python 3.8 but you have to re-merge it. Put both entropy and equo in an overlay or enable Sabayon overlay (eselect repository).

Sorry? I thought that using emerge for equo or entropy was strongly discouraged? Also, eselect doesn’t have a repository module. Could you please elaborate a bit?

First ask here or open a bug with a request for entropy with python 3.8/3.9 support.

It’s not recommended, but I if you don’t want to wait for entropy built with python 3.8 (maybe never) you can do the following:
emerge app-eselect/eselect-repository
eselect repository list
Add the 2 sabayon repos.
Mask >=portage-3 (entropy doesn’t work with portage 3), change EAPI to 6 in
sabayon-distro/sys-apps/portage/portage-2.3.89-r3.ebuild
Change PYTHON_TARGETS in make.conf or /etc/portage/package.use
emerge entropy equo
You will get many blocks but you can force merge each python package from /var/db/pkg/dev-python/
Don’t do this on your main system.

Don’t do this on your main system.

Sounds like a good idea. :wink:

Thanks for the description. I have some “not-main” systems here I could try this on (if time permits). I’m still unsure what I would do in the case I break something (even the non-main systems are certainly needed sooner or later). Reinstalling with Sabayon doesn’t look too promising. Is Mocaccino already usable for daily things?

Um, and where should I actually open a bugreport for requesting a python upgrade? With the Mocaccino Issue Tracker?

Sabayon bugs page doesn’t exist any more.
Ask here, or open issue on github: