Kernel updates for Sabayon

Will there still be kernel updates for Sabayon? The repo (https://github.com/Sabayon/kernel) carries at least 5.7.19 and 5.8.17, but sabayonlinux.org offers only 5.7.10 (and no 5.8 at all), while kernel.org is already at 5.10 (stable). LT versions like 5.4 seem to lag, too (5.4.89 on kernel.org, 5.4.72 in sabayonlinux.org and 5.4.73 on github).

1 Like

Would be nice to see the kernels updated. Nowadays fresh kernels are not that important as they were for Fabio :frowning:

I’m sorry but I have to correct you, as it wouldn’t be fair to other developers that have contributed to Sabayon :wink: Fabio is not actively working on Sabayon since quite a lot of years ( maybe more than 5/6? I don’t even recall to be honest )

Kernels were kept up-to-date as much as possible since few months ago. Our focus currently is trying to roll out a first alpha of MOS, and Sabayon Kernels aren’t our focus at the moment - expecially given the fact that our man power is very much reduced.

On the other end MOS Kernels does already have automated version bumps, that are as much as close as possible with upstream kernels

2 Likes

In my Sabayon installations, i compiled the kernel version 5.8.17, using portage, from the existing files in the Overlays, Sabayon and Sabayon-DIstro.

I written an small article, about how to make this, but it is written in Brazilian Portuguese , in the site “Viva o Linux”

Question,
in VMware Workstation guest,
Moca Micro version has networking and loads a functional driver that results in internet access working.

Desktop version for some reason does NOT … get internet active, related to the generic LAN Intel 82574L network.

Same default actions, 2 different results. Is there a kernel config difference between Moca micro, Moca Desktop, Sabayon Kernel ?

So with micro version loading, installing, after instalation reboot, there is no network active / no module loading.

Is there a way to get a genkernel or different kernel config active in both live cd version and then same after.

Somewhere I am falling out of the bus related to Sabayon and migrating but same time this 2 live CD iso versions and installing.

Only other option I see is to boot from Sabayon then chroot + loop mount iso, fix the kernel modules and do the install from there with update kernel config from Sabayon or similar ?

Surely then going to easy route and Sabayon as boot media, chroot, downlaod a stage 3 version of Moca, old school install and build the system from there is easier ?

I presume virtualization takes care of networking, provides a driver for the bridge and uses the host OS already working network drivers, that solving the issues.
The native install must provide an working kernel module for the actual hardware.
The distribution is still in heavy development, so it’s expected to have problems for some particular devices, software and so on.
I guess there are yet many things to be set.

Apart from this, I wonder why not delivering small sets of related updates that would prepare and progressively migrate Sabayon to Funtoo’s particular set of libs and configs, if that’s possible, of course?