Keep Sabayon alive

I’ve been using Sabayon for many years, the only issues I had with it were some packages missing or packages I didn’t like (systemd, libav etc) but I was able to solve them using the portage. As I understand the new OS is not compatible with portage/emerge, so I’m not going to use it.
I think it’s a bad thing to let this OS die, am I the only one who thinks that? Is there anybody willing to continue Sabayon or fork it?

first of all, have you tried to imagine how portage works behind the plans?

The switch from sabayon to mocaccinoOS was because it was impossible for more than one computer to compile for the entire architecture.

While on mocaccinoOS, everyone can compile and upload to the community repository

first of all, have you tried to imagine how portage works behind the plans?

I don’t understand the question. I know how portage works, I’ve been using Gentoo before Sabayon.

The switch from sabayon to mocaccinoOS was because it was impossible for more than one computer to compile for the entire architecture.

Can you explain why, I’ve installed Gentoo on AMD K6-II/333MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, full KDE 4 system. You don’t have to provide updates very often and packages for all DEs, these have the most dependencies.

I don’t really know how to explain it, but basically the limitation of sabayon Linux is that all the packages compiled for mocaccinoOS are made through a single computer, now the technical part I don’t know,

You are quite wrong here. At the moment we don’t offer a 1:1 compatibility with portage like you were used to with entropy but you can still build off you packages you like with emerge, see here https://www.mocaccino.org/docs/desktop/building_packages/.

I see us having in the future similar capabilities like with equo rescue spmsync, as the process is very similar to what we do to import the entropy database https://www.mocaccino.org/docs/desktop/migrating/, and at that point having a separate package for emerge is an option on the table. So yes, there is some work ahead us, but nothing that we can’t solve.

And no, there are no plans from the official development team to fork off or continue Sabayon and Entropy developments. There are many incompatibilities with Portage that needs to be tackled first at code level, without even speaking about the infrastructure challenges with that approach on building packages takes with it.

Cheers

You are quite wrong here. At the moment we don’t offer a 1:1 compatibility with portage like you were used to with entropy but you can still build off you packages you like with emerge

In docs it says portage/emerge is not supported:

MocaccinoOS desktop, even if based on portage, doesn’t support the direct usage of emerge .

Yes. In the same way it never was supported in Sabayon too.

So I can use it like in Sabayon? The docs are very confusing.

It’s confusing because it is not officially supported to run “emerge” on Mocaccino directly, as it never was in Sabayon as well, so you will never find a statement “you can run emerge and expect no issues”.

What’s proposed in the docs is a way to package it without actually building off directly in the system, but rather inside a container, that’s the more clean and less error-prone way to do it, minimizing the chances of breaking your system

I see, in docs is about building packages not installing them.

Where do you build the Sabayon packages, PC or cloud?

I installed luet and when upgrading the system it wants to remove all packages (gentoo/sabayon format) and install new ones with a new format. How is this compatible with portage/emerge?