[FIXED] Sabayon Fresh install problem in UEFI

Tl;DR: use ventoy to burn the image to a usb stick.
Thanks to @msdobrescu

—original post—

Hi everyone,

I tried to do a fresh install of sabayon 19.03 during the weekend but for some reason i cannot manage to boot up the installer in uefi mode. I’m using the KDE variant. I tried to find information about this but the old forum is gone and not everything is indexed in wayback-machine.

Sabayon 18.05 boots up and installs fine in uefi mode, but i cannot update it without breaking the system.

Is there a way to ‘fix’ 19.03 to boot up in uefi mode or upgrade 18.05 without breaking everything?

Hi, are you sure you have created the boot medium correctly, for UEFI mode?
Is that a thumb drive? What tool did you use to create de medium?
BTW, if you can install from 18.05 medium, you should be fine with updating/upgrading the system after using equo or Rigo.

Hi, thank you for your response.

Yes, it is a thumb drive, I tried 3 different drives from various sizes. I created the drive with dd and etcher without success. I tried different block sizes (512k, 8192k, 4M, etc) and nothing. The thing is, the drive boots in legacy mode, but not in uefi.

Then I tried 18.05 with dd and boots just fine in uefi. I tried ubuntu and boots too.

To be honest I don’t know what I am doing wrong. I checked the image, the drives, etc and everything is fine. It seems there is a problem with that image i guess. Maybe i’ll try other desktops images later, but for now, it seems that the kde image is broken for uefi.

Regarding 18.05, i’m using sabayonlinux.org repo and not sabayon-weekly and I get this message trying to update:

Source Package Manager is too old, please update it: UnsupportedAPIException()

I tried upgrading entropy/portage/equo/rigo with --nodeps (because, if I try without it, it tries to install everyting and then fails with the same error). Once installed, equo stops working. I think it fails because it tries to use python3.7 and it is not installed, but i don’t know what dependencies python3.7 uses, so i just reinstalled everything but i’m stuck with that error.

Sorry for the long response, i tried to be concise.

Unfortunately, there just isn’t a good way to install Sabayon anymore. Even the newest released version has some major obstacles to upgrade it to a working system. The fix would be to release a new Sabayon iso, except Sabayon is now deprecated, to be replaced with Mocaccino.

I have had success with making an UEFI bootable thumbdrive with rufus or ventoy. I would try ventoy, as rufust is an Windows app.

@stupot , I understand that sabayon is deprecated, but I need a working system to work with. I did a clean install in hopes of a future upgrade path to MocaccinoOS. My old installation was 3+ years old and bloated.

@msdobrescu , what desktop flavor are you using? I’ll try ventoy right now, but I think the KDE image is broken.

I use KDE. I would have wait for a migration, if that comes or a fresh beta MocaccinoOS KDE image when/if available. While mine works well, updated since Sabayon 6, several newer ones, I start to lose hope something will come soon for a migration at once. Rather small parts, as I see coming via updates every week…

Ventoy did the trick, I guess it works because it uses its own boot to load the iso.

Thank you!

Don’t mention it. I use it also because it can load several images and builds a menu for that.

On my laptop, the secure boot sometimes limits booting into UEFI so you might need to disable secure boot or I think there was a way to select the UEFI part of the boot process of some computers and add a valid certificate for secure boot.

Ventoy possibly loads or piggy backs onto a windows certificate to get past secure boot.

Can’t tell, I have set the UEFI boot myself when it became available to Sabayon.
I have disabled the secure boot at the time. It updated fine since.

Hi,

It wasn’t a problem with secure boot, I have secure boot disabled.

19.03 KDE iso is broken I guess. 18.05 KDE iso worked just fine.

Ventoy works because it makes it’s own boot partition and then reads the ISOs copied in the second partition. That’s why it worked.

I think the kernel-switcher would fix the UEFI boot too.