Can't enable LightDM: too many levels of symbolic links

Hello everyone,
I recently installed Sabayon Linux 19.03 XFCE Edition.
After reading that the sabayon-weekly repo is no longer maintained, I enabled the sabayonlinux.org repo, after which I issued ‘equo upgrade’.
The upgrade removed LightDM for some reason, so I reinstalled it.
Now I am facing the issue that the service cannot be enabled (or started manually).

# systemctl enable lightdm
Failed to enable unit: File /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service already exists and is a symlink to /usr/lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service

# systemctl enable display-manager
Failed to enable unit: Too many levels of symbolic links

I also tried to launch the service directly, however:

# systemctl start display-manager
Failed to start display-manager.service: display-manager.service not found.

#systemctl start lightdm
This attempts to start LightDM, but I just get a blinking X cursor and after several blinks a blinking console cursor.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to fix this?
Thank you very much

Petr

There seem to be a misconfiguration in your system. Try ls -l /usr/lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service and see whether it is a normal file or a symlink back to /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service as that would be a problem. If that is the case, try reinstalling lightdm.

Thank you, parapente.
It seems my system is in a mess. The /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service is a symlink to /usr/lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service but the target doesn’t exist, there is no lightdm.service in /usr/lib/systemd/system/. Also, man equo yields an error and so does man with any other comment. Furthermore, equo remove lightdm crashes, offers to send a bugreport but that crashes too. I was thinking of a hard drive failure, but there is nothing strange in dmesg (last time my hard drive was failing, it was full of sda errors). I will try another equo upgrade and if it doesn’t help, I guess I’ll reinstall.

What if you try to reinstall the package? What Rigo says? I presume equo upgrade won’t install missing packages. Did you try equo libtest and equo deptest?

Thank you, msdobrescu.
The thing is, now my system is messed up to such a degree that neither Equo or Rigo can start. When I issue equo, I get “Calculating System Updates” and right after that the “Hi, my name is Bug Reporter” message, followed by Traceback and a bunch of Python errors ending with libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file - no such file or directory.
I can start a simple X session via startx, but Rigo also complains about missing libstdc++.so.6 and the message ends by a Python RuntimeError.
Also, man pages show empty and man ends with a 147 error.
(This happened after a second equo upgrade, the first one just created the problem described in my first post.)

I don’t know how I got into this state, all I did was adding the sabayonlinux.org repo and equo upgrade. I guess I’ll have to reinstall and before that, check the disk drive for errors.

No equo update before equo upgrade?

I am embarrassed to admit it but this was indeed the case. I was revitalizing three different old computers with 2 GB RAM the same day, one with Sabayon, another one with Manjaro and the third one with Fedora MATE. I have some prior experience with Gentoo but not with Sabayon and I guess I just didn’t read the docs carefully enough. Hopefully I will not make such a stupid mistake again. Thank you very much for your time and advice.